Wednesday, January 26, 2011

tally's kale salad

At Christmas time my lovely sister in law Tally came in town to visit and made us this delicious salad. It's actually based off of  this Martha Stewart recipe. This is one of the best salads I've had in a while. I had forgotten just how good it was until I made it the other day to take to a meeting at my birthing center.

It's an amazingly flavorful salad especially considering how simple the ingredients are. 


The Salad

the juice of 1 lemon
1tbs lemon zest
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8 cups shredded kale (ribs removed)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
coarse salt 
freshly ground black pepper

Mix the lemon, zest, and olive oil to make a dressing.
Toss kale with dressing to coat.
Add 1/2 cup good Parmesan cheese and the sunflower seeds.
Season well with salt and pepper and toss well.


Kale is high in antioxidants, fiber, calcium, vitamins a, b, c, & k, and has one of the highest protein content found in veggies. It's also a good source of iron. Anyone can benefit from the great nutritional content in kale but if you are pregnant then I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment